Health & Safety
Although Health & Safety isn’t a sexy subject it is very important, increasingly litigious, and needs to be addressed in a thoughtful and helpful way. It is essential that any organisation employing five or more people, or any self-employed person, must have a written health and safety policy including associated documentation with written risk assessments.
The problem is that directors of many small and medium-sized businesses find the whole subject of Health & Safety a minefield of bewildering and bemusing legislation and bureaucracy. As a result they shy away from any involvement until such time as they have to. This is often a result of an incident at work, or an unscheduled visit from an enforcement officer.
Here are some typical activities and benefits companies can realise from working with ibd:
- We help Directors of SME’s understand their legal responsibilities under Health & Safety Law and give them peace of mind that they are complying.
- We help the client manage safety themselves, but with our support and guidance.
- We help Directors communicate the importance of Health & Safety in the workplace environment with their staff.
- We assist companies in generating a positive Health & Safety culture within their business.
- We help provide the framework for reducing the risks and occurrences of illness and accidents in the workplace.
- We understand the day-to-day business pressures that enterprises are under in order to operate profitably and generate turnover. We work with clients to minimise those disruptions to daily workplace activities, ensuring that they are carried out safely.
- We recognise that companies need to be able to function efficiently and effectively, but also function safely and with due care for their employees. To this end we provide practical common sense advice on what they need to do.
At ibd we have a number of advisors who provide sound, common sense advice based on practical Health & Safety expertise and experience gained over many years.
The approach taken by ibd is to offer and undertake a variety of services to ensure your company complies with UK Health & Safety Law. These services will include:
- An initial Health & Safety Audit tailored to your business
- Preparation of your Health & Safety Policy statement and arrangements
- Bespoke training packages for directors, managers and staff
- Site safety inspections every 6-12 months
- Risk Assessor training
- Specific Job Related Risk Assessments
- Accident investigation/prevention and HSE reporting
- Fire Risk Assessment and Procedures
- Fire Marshall training
- Electrical Safety
- Manual Handling – Risk Assessment and training
- Advice on safe working practices regarding workplace equipment
- Slip & Trip Hazards on workshop floors
- PPE Assessments
- COSHH Assessments
- First Aider Requirements
- Liaison with enforcement authorities over improvement/prohibition orders
- Negotiations with insurance brokers/underwriters to ensure that good safety management standards are reflected in insurance premium levels
- Special ‘competent person’ retainer service